Live a Little: Finally having a home...

For the last 13 years, our homes have been "where ever the Navy sent us".  With that being said, we have had several places we lived in, many different schools the kids attended, many neighborhoods we called ours...
but we never made a house a home. 
Always knowing that we would move soon, we never really unpacked anything except for the basics; clothes, toys, household items, and I kept picture frames and such packed away.  Knowing we were going to move every 6 months to a year, I didn't want to make it my home and then have the heartbreak of leaving it.

I short changed myself, not the kids though; their school art plastered our empty walls ;)
Last August, August 24, 2011 to be exact, we packed up our Honda Odyssey, and drove from San Diego, California to New York.  It was heartbreaking to say the least,
not only were we moving across the Country, but we didn't want to go.  I didn't want to leave the best place I had ever lived in, my children's birthplace, MY birthplace.  But we didn't have a choice, our time in the US Navy in San Diego was over. 


The road ahead...

We arrived in New York the week after the hurricane, feeling like it was the worst thing in the world.  We lived with my husband's aunt for 11 months and it wasn't easy for any of us.  Not only was I having problems with schools and their abusiveness towards my special needs child, but I was missing home and sad that I didn't have one of our own.
I made a promise to myself that the next place we moved into, would be our home.  We looked everywhere for rentals we could afford, but they were horrible; so I made the decision that we would sacrifice some extra things in order to find a home that had what I wanted... and we did!

I found the perfect old little house, it has a leaky basement, it rains throughout the summer, the attic has one tiny window... but it's perfect for us ;)

and we've put up our first set of fresh flowers...

and we've had Family movie nights where they ALL fell asleep on the couch ;)...
Where Anthony cooked his first meal...

we even have 4 kittens and fish now ;)...

We are in a place that says home, that feels like home, and it definitely smells like home ;)

This is how I've decided to "Live a little", by finally opening my heart and sharing my "Home" with you ;)
What things make your house a home?  What does home mean to you? 






Join us!

Participate to Live a Little blog hop! Write a blog post how you “live a little,” what’s your small way of living life to the fullest and add your blog post to the InLinkz widget above. Rules: Link either to Skimbacolifestyle.com, OR get the InLinkz code for your post – or do both! If you post the widget in your blog post, please add these rules as well.
We recently added a weekly topic, but it's just a suggestion - we want to hear how you live a little and inspire others to do that as well.
This week's topic: enjoy home
Next week's topic: me time, focus in YOU

19 comments:

  1. sniff. you don't like New York??

    I'm glad you found a home that you like though

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being at home and I love the pictures you shared of your special times. Home just smells good to me and feels safe. No matter what, I hope I give that to my girls forever. I still know I could go home to my parent's home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your family is so sweet! I adore the sleeping on the couch pic! I'm a new follower from the Mom's Mingle and I'd love a visit back at http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com when you get the chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you are finally settling in in your new home!! I know what that life is.. and just when I started feeling like home in NY, we moved again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like a pile of kids and a pile of kittens to make a house a home…

    ReplyDelete
  6. We recently moved from CO to WA (driving through WY is awful!). CO never felt like home. I guess that having friends and family around helps making a house homier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NY is a big adjustment! I'm glad you're settling in - cute kitties always help :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know how you feel about moving around! I grew up a preacher's kid and now a preacher's wife. I understand about rentals, not being able to paint the walls, etc. I love that house you got though! We live in a 2 bed upstairs aprtment. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post! I'm glad you finally have a house you can call your HOME!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you found a home you like! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep our family movie nights look a lot like yours LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your new home! Please enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been guilty of doing what you did... not hanging up pictures and so on. I've also recently decided to just live! Go us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! It must be so hard to move like that! I'm sure the kids will end up with great memories and experiences and they'll understand why you didn't decorate. :)
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey! You know I haven't had to move around like you have, but I've always wanted some place to call my own. We finally bought a home in May and I'm so glad we did. The kids now have a back yard to play in, where they didn't before since it was apartment living. Its nice!! Thanks for sharing. Hopefully by now you've hung some pictures on the wall too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How nice, to finally be settled somewhere. You have a lovely family and comfy home. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and even more for leaving a comment ;) Have a great month!!!